Monday, December 22, 2008

Movie Moment - French for Christmas


I highly recommend to you the 2005 film “Joyeux Noel.” Based on the spontaneous Christmas Eve and Christmas truce that occurred in the trenches of World War I - in this case between French, Scottish, and German soldiers - it stars a bunch of people I had never heard of, and this guy:


Gary Lewis, who was the dad in "Billy Elliot," and boxed Leonardo DiCaprio in “Gangs of New York.”

It’s a fantastic movie – great story, well acted, beautifully shot.

I particularly enjoyed the tension shown in the movie between the ability of religion (Christianity, in this case) to be a bridge to peace, or a tool of propaganda. (For an example, the bishop’s little homily at the end is real – it was given at Westminster Abbey in 1915.)

So, if you’ve gone through your collection of Christmas movies already this year, maybe it’s time to add a new one! Merry Christmas!

No comments: