You know something Jesus talks about A LOT? Money.
There are a lot of preacher types these days who talk about money, they aren't hard to find. But they don't talk about money like Jesus did.
"Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." - Matthew 19:23-24
We had a "Jerusalem Marketplace" themed Vacation Bible School at our church about a month back, and on the last day we had two camels, named Richard and Ibrahim, hanging out at the soccer field. Camels are big. Up to nine feet tall at the hump. See, Jesus is saying here that it's really hard for rich people to line up their desires with God's. Darn near impossible.
Saturday Night Live had a very funny skit a few years back with Bill Pullman as a billionaire whose "life is changed" by the above verse. He reads Matthew 19:24 and devotes his fortune to making it easy for a camel to go through the eye of a needle by genetically engineering tiny camels and building very large needles. Classic line: "We pureed a camel and poured it through the needle, but we think that might be cheating. We have lawyers looking into it."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hey Patrick,
Caught this over at a Baylor Law School Prof's blog:
"Is it against the teachings of Christ to be rich?
I tend to think not, except when I read the Gospels."
I liked that quote. Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the topic as well. The discussion that follows is pretty interesting, too, as people try to justify their wealth. And, really, I'm not criticizing, I do the same thing.
See the whole post at
http://oslersrazor.blogspot.com/2008/08/sunday-reflection-on-buying-stuff.html
You already did #8. This is #9. You're retarded.
Thanks for lovingly pointing that out - ya jerk!
Post a Comment