Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cholitas Luchadoras!

Everybody needs heroes. I highly recommend this article from last month’s National Geographic magazine, about the native women wrestlers of Bolivia, by Alma Guillermoprieto.

A ridiculous idea on the surface, dig a little deeper and you get to some important truths about people. The last two pages hit me hard, so to speak, with the notion that seeing the spectacle of colorful characters duking it out is a place of release for people in desperate poverty, a chance for a daughter to prove herself to her dad, and for little children to reach out and touch the fantastic living icons.

Go get ‘em, “Amorous Yolanda!” Show that dragon-man what you’re made of!

1 comment:

Taylor Sandlin said...

These ladies are getting lots of airtime - they were featured on the Amazing Race last week. I meant to ask our staff missionaries about them. Kathy and Terry have ministered in Bolivia for almost 20 years. I'll let you know what I find out.