From "A Book of Strife" :
In holy things may be unholy greed.
Thou giv'st a glimpse of many a lovely thing
Not to be stored for use in any mind,
But only for the present spiritual need.
The holiest bread, if hoarded, soon will breed
The mammon-moth, the having-pride, I find.
'Tis momently Thy heart gives out heart-quickening.
.............................................................................................
This caught me off guard when I read it. I am a natural hoarder, and perhaps most avidly a hoarder of information. I had not considered the spiritual implications of holding on to every piece of insight or revelation. And I think it's appropriate that it wasn't an essay that called this to my attention, but a poem.
Monday, July 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That's a unique insight. You've given me something to think about. (But I suppose I ought no to "hoard" the insight too long, for fear of spiritual greed!)
Post a Comment