Thursday, July 24, 2008

Belated Purpose Statement: Movie Moment

I love movies.

They are the twentieth century art form - a fantastic blend of all the arts of drama, stagecraft, music, art, and photography. A collaborative effort of (usually) hundreds of people to create a lasting work. They can be ridiculous or sublime.

Basically, I really love movies, and like talking about them. This seems like a good place...

And as long as we're here, did you know Gary Oldman was in "The Scarlet Letter?" The 1995 one with Demi Moore and Robert Duvall? The one that was really, really, bad? The one that completely changed the ending of the book, and I'm not saying the end of the book was good, because it wasn't, and I'm still not sure what exactly happens in it, but still, it wasn't what happened in the movie.

I hadn't thought about that movie for years (thank God), but I was looking at Oldman's filmography after being impressed by him again in "The Dark Knight" and lo and behold, there's the "Scarlet Letter." I remember the one redeeming part of that terrible, terrible film being the guy who played the minister, and there's the reason - because it was Gary Oldman.


Other Gary Oldman favorites: "Batman Begins" (of course), "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" (make sure to include Gary in your 'people who have played werewolves' list), "The Contender", "The Fifth Element", "Lost in Space" (shut up - I liked it!), "Air Force One", and "Leon: The Professional."

Can't Believe I Haven't Seen These: "Immortal Beloved" (Beethoven!), "Bram Stoker's Dracula" (Dracula!), and "JFK" (Lee Harvey Oswald!)

3 comments:

Alyson Sandlin said...

Um Patrick, sorry to correct you but I don't think he played a werewolf in Harry Potter. I think he was an animagus. "An animagus is a person who has the choice to change into an animal anytime it wants. A werewolf is someone who has no choice, and changes form every month during the full moon." I got that straight off the internet so it must be true.

Patrick said...

Ah - I stand corrected.

Danielle said...

It's funny that the movies I like G.O. in are the ones you haven't seen yet... interesting. Except Batman, of course.
Do you remember the movies we were all talking about with Krystal at your house? I couldn't remember them all and neither does she. Though maybe your brain would be better here.