Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Bible Verses That Freak Me Out #10 - Mo' Money, Mo' Problems - "When you give to the poor" - Matthew 6:1-4

"Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you." - Matthew 6:1-4

I have trouble with this verse. Not so much because I like people to know when I give to the poor (although I do), but for another reason. I have been the beneficiary of the generosity of strangers. I have received significant help in my education from people I have never met. I have met for class and worship in buildings, have rested comfortably on benches, have studied in libraries, all sponsored by people I do not know. But I know their names. I know them because they are on shiny plaques, or doorways, or large gilt letters on the front of the building.

I am very, very grateful that these people gave, either from their abundance, or out of their need, to further the education, and particularly the religious education, of whippersnappers such as myself.

But...I wonder sometimes if the gilt letters are the pinnacle of the honor they will receive for their gifts, because of the verses above.

Perhaps they did not have a choice. Perhaps they gave their gift, and the trustees of the library, or the chapel, or the bench said with a loud decree (and a trumpet), "Henceforth, this bench shall be the Desmond R. G. Underwood bench!" I don't know what I'd do in such a situation - would I have the chutzpah to say, "That's alright guys, let's just leave it anonymous" - ?

Like I say - the verse freaks me out.

3 comments:

briandouglasphillips said...

Hmmm.

You posted this at 6:45 a.m.?

Patrick said...

My computer is confused about what time it is.

Wait, there are two 6 o'clocks?!

Danielle said...

I'm sure, "mensch" that you are, you'd at least try to stifle the trumpet blowers. After all they are stealing your heavenly glory.