Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Better Living Through Zoology: The Hippopotamus

I was born in Lufkin, Texas, and lived there till I was 9 years old. There were a lot of favorite places I had as a child, but topping the list was probably the Ellen Trout Zoo. The zoo was founded in 1967 by Walter Trout, because he had a weird friend. For Christmas one year, Walter’s friend sent him a 500 lb. baby hippopotamus. Your options are limited when receiving such a gift, so Trout started a zoo, and its first resident was Hippy the hippo.

Hippy was the first animal you saw going into the zoo, and hippos have been my favorite animal ever since. Seeing the behemoth right after you went through the turnstile at the zoo made quite an impression. I liked his amphibious lifestyle, and easy-going manner. I did not like his smell, but he wore it well.

Since then, I have learned to appreciate other unique aspects of the hippo. Their name means “river horse.” They are genetic relatives of dolphins and whales, and can breed, give birth, and nurse babies underwater. They generally hold their breath underwater for three to five minutes (three minutes is beyond most humans) but can hold their breath for up to 30 minutes, and can walk on the bottom of rivers (they can’t float).

They can live up to 50 years (usually 30-40) and can weigh 3-5 tons. They are social creatures that herd together in groups of 10-150 animals.

They communicate through “wheeze-honks” and some scientists think that they may communicate underwater through vocalizations similar to whales.

Oh, I could go on! My appreciation for the hippo is part nostalgia, and part modern-day wonder that such a thing exists in the same world. Like every other African animal, it has never been domesticated. It just wants to lie in the cool water during the day, and eat lots and lots of grass during the night. If you mess with it, it will jab you with its giant tusks. Otherwise, it makes a good, if smelly, neighbor. Ah, the simple life!

So, here’s to the hippo! Third largest land mammal, but first in my heart.















Behold the majesty.

Also, here's somewhat lowbrow hippo-related humor.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've always heard that (apart from the mosquito) the hippo is the African animal responsible for the most human deaths every year. Just a thought.

briandouglasphillips said...

Excellent post. This is why I love you.