Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Movie Moment: Stranger Than Fiction

I heartily recommend to you the movie "Stranger Than Fiction." Perhaps you remember the trailer from a few years back (2006). Written by Zach Helm, the story is about IRS agent Harold Crick (Will Ferrell), who hears a voice in his head - it is the narrator (Emma Thompson) describing his life as it goes on around him. Things get a little more dire when she says, "Little did he know that this seemingly innocuous event would mean his imminent death." This leads eventually to the office of Dr. Jules Hilbert (Dustin Hoffman), and the following conversation in which Dr. Hilbert attempts to better understand Harold's problem, and which is one of my new favorite scenes from any movie ever:

Dr. Jules Hilbert: I've devised a test. How exciting is that? Composed of 23 questions which I think might help uncover more truths about this narrator. Now Howard...
Harold: Harold!
Dr. Jules Hilbert: Harold - these may seem silly but your candor is paramount.
Harold: Ok.
Dr. Jules Hilbert: So. We know it's a woman's voice. The story involves your death. It's modern. It's in English and I'm assuming the author has a cursory knowledge of the city.
Harold: Sure.
Dr. Jules Hilbert: O.k. good. Question one. Has anyone recently left any gifts outside your home? Anything. Gum, money, a large wooden horse.
Harold: I'm sorry?
Dr. Jules Hilbert: Just answer the question.
Harold: No.
Dr. Jules Hilbert: Do you find yourself inclined to solve murder mysteries in large luxurious homes to which you...
Harold: No.
Dr. Jules Hilbert: Let me finish. - To which you may or may not have been invited?
Harold: No, no, no.
Dr. Jules Hilbert: Alright. On a scale of one to ten, what would you consider the likelihood you might be assassinated?
Harold: Assassinated?
Dr. Jules Hilbert: One being very unlikely, ten being expecting it around every corner.
Harold: I have no idea.
Dr. Jules Hilbert: O.k. let me rephrase.
[takes a deep breath]
Dr. Jules Hilbert: Are you the king of anything?
Harold: Like what?
Dr. Jules Hilbert: Anything. King of the lanes at the local bowling alley.
Harold: King of the lanes?
Dr. Jules Hilbert: King of the lanes, king of the trolls…
Harold: King of the Trolls?
Dr. Jules Hilbert: Yes, uh - a clandestine land found underneath your floor boards.
Harold: No.
Dr. Jules Hilbert: Hmm?
Harold: No. That's ridiculous.
Dr. Jules Hilbert: Agreed. Let's start with ridiculous and move backwards. Now, was any part of you at one time part of something else?
Harold: Like, do I have someone else's arms?
Dr. Jules Hilbert: Well is it possible at one time that you were made of stone, wood, lye, varied corpse parts? Or, earth made holy by rabbinical elders?
Harold: No. Look, look. I'm sorry, but what do these questions have to do with anything?
Dr. Jules Hilbert: Nothing. The only way to find out what story you're in is to determine what stories you're not in. Odd as it may seem, I've just ruled out half of Greek literature, seven fairy tales, ten Chinese fables, and determined conclusively that you are not King Hamlet, Scout Finch, Miss Marple, Frankenstein's Monster, or a golem. Hmm? Aren't you relieved to know you're not a golem?
Harold: [Trying to be patient] Yes. I am relieved to know that I am not a golem.
Dr. Jules Hilbert: Good. [pause] Do you have magical powers?

End Scene

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I really liked this movie. I was surprised, I'm not a big Will Ferrell fan. I love Emma Thompson, so I watched it.

Scott Rushing said...

I got the warning that it wasn't a typical Will Farrell movie. So I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much.